Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The story of a dog named Jack

It's about time I introduced you to my son Jack. He is black and he is beautiful. I don't need to tell you that - you can see for yourself.








Now sit down and let me tell you his story...
Once upon a time...

On April 5, 2011, out of the blue, I got a text from my neighbor, David.

He sent me the following picture.



The text said - "1 year old black lab - are you interested?" Just look at that picture. I mean, how could I not be interested?

Jack's story is kinda of a sad one, but with a happy ending. I won't ever really know his background because he and two other dogs were dropped off at the side of the road and the car just drove off. I can just picture the dogs watching the car drive away and then looking at each other. Now what?!

Lucky for them a woman had witnessed it and she took them in. She was able to adopt one of the dogs out to another family, but was unable to keep the other two dogs (Jack being one of them), so she contacted the Menifee Humane Society.

Lucky for me, my neighbor happens to be the pest control guy for one of the volunteers at the humane society. She contacted him because he had mentioned to her that I would be interested if a lab ever came in.

I arranged to meet Jack the very next day. He was staying at the Briarcliff Pet Motel in Menifee. The Motel volunteers to house abandoned dogs until they find an owner. Sarah, Bridget, Brooke and Jon came with me. They came along because I wanted to make sure that Jack would get along with other dogs and also kids. We all fell in love at first sight. He was so calm (that may have had something to do with being neutered the day before). Anyway, I knew the moment I saw him that he was a keeper. He came home with me that night.



And I have not regretted it once. Okay, maybe when I saw he had worms, I was a little grossed out, but that was cleared up in a day or two.

He is such a good boy. He is mostly black with a little white on his chest and chin and also on the back of each paw. He is a lab mix, but I'm not sure what the mix is. I am waiting for the results of the lab test!



In this picture, he kinda looks like one of those stuffed dogs with the really big head and small body.



He has the pinkest tongue and very expressive ears.

Jack gets along with everyone so far - neighbor kids, adults, other animals, Bridget.

Okay, well maybe Bridget, not so much. Actually they love playing with each other and sometimes it just gets a little out of hand and one of them always ends up in a time out. For the most part, they get along.

He still thinks he is a lap dog. He sleeps right next to me. And he loves to eat snails and sometimes puppy dog tails!

Jack will be having his picture taken professionally soon - so his story will continue then. And that concludes the story of Jack - Part 1.



Oh yeah - The End!

(Not really, stay tuned...)

4 comments:

Caitlin and Josh said...

YAY! I got SO excited when I saw on the side of my blog that you updated. What a happy day. I already love Jack, and I haven't even met him yet. I can't wait to meet the little guy! He is sooooooo! Such a boyyyyyyy! I'm so happy for you!

Leslie said...

Maybe you should name him Jack Black. But seriously, he's cute for a dog.

Tracy said...

YAAYYYY! It updated on my blogroll! I was worried about that! I love little Jack even though I never get to see him. I'll get to know him real well when I take his pics next week. Black is beautiful. Once you go black, you never go back.

Brooke said...

You need to email me when you update your blog! It's no fun finding out about it 3 months later haha! But I love Jack, it was SO much fun being there when you met him. He is precious and I love him...and anything that comes out of him (including the worms). I saved one of the worms, named it Leonard, and kept it in a lab container. That's how much I love Jack.