Sunday, August 23, 2009

Garage Sales ROCK

My Saturdays used to be devoted to mowing my lawn and cleaning my house and going to soccer games and grocery shopping and doing laundry and just cramming everything into the day that I possible could because Sundays are a day of rest. But since I discovered how fun garage saling can be with my niece(s) and my sister(s) - instead - my Sundays are not only a day of rest, but also a day of "get the rest of the stuff done you didn't on Saturday because you were out garage saling." Not really... Okay, maybe...a little.

Although, I am not as aggressive as Tracy and Leslie are at the bargaining part, the driving part and the spotting of the signs part, I am slowly learning from the pros. I have learned to just make sure my seat belt is fastened and to hang on. Deborah learned the hard way about keeping up with this group because they do not wait for stragglers even when they are down on the ground with a broken ankle. (Tracy - still waiting to see Deborah's cute doc.)

This blog is to share with everyone the finds that I found.

Here is a picture of one of the first purchases I made - Leslie bargained it down for me from $10 to $8 (thanks sis!). It came with the six pots (minus the flowers - which I planted later). Also, it was green and Tracy suggested I paint it red and I think it looks very cute.

After I painted it and got it all set up - Tracy said that I should have blogged about it and that I should have done a before and after picture. Well, since I didn't do it on this one - I decided to do it on the following plant holder I got at another garage sale. Here is the before (cute dog not included):


Here is the spray booth - I know, I know it looks like a murder scene with blood splatter (call CSI) - but believe me - it is just red paint:

One coat on, one to go.

Why is the writing on the can so small? Or are my arms just not long enough. I finally had to get a magnifying glass to read the fine print and when I did I found out that not only could I not read it, I was trying to read the French version. I hate my bad eyesight! Don't ever get old if you can help it.

And now for the final product - basil, rosemary, thyme, anyone?


I also got the cute tin pots at another garage sale. Do you like the way I wet down the front porch because I wanted to get the effect that they always do in movies?



Can't wait until next Saturday - saving my dollar bills and quarters for the next garage sale, or yard sale, or "gigantic" yard sale, or "huge" garage sale, or neighborhood garage sale, or "estate" (but nobody died) sale, or estate (I think they died in this house) sale, or humongous yard sale, or big yard (my neighbor is having a yard sale so I will pull out a few things) sale,or garage (I want to sell my free vases I got from flowers) sale, or yard (I have three things to sell) sale, or garage (why do we always fall for the same "old" garage sale sign) sale, or yard (every sign is in a different color) sale, or my personal favorite - yard (let me tell you what I originally paid for this and what country I got it from) sale.

Happy Garage Saling!

6 comments:

Caitlin Teal said...

Hahahahahahahaha. This blog was TOO funny. Just one of the many things I miss about home. Garage saling with you guys is my all-time favorite. And the stuff you found and painted is too cute! Seriously! Good eye. Miss you and LOVE when you blog. Notice how fast I went from your text to your blog. So excited.

Caitlin Teal said...

P.s. All those garage saling descriptions were making me laugh out loud. BEST.

Tracy said...

i HATE the "we have 3 things to sell so lets have a garage sale" sales. we should do drive-by tomato throwing at those ones. that would make garage saling so much more fun. and when someone says "oh its $10 because I paid $15for it in Kosovo" we could use the same tomatoes when we drive away. and i still think we should have a garage sale and advertise it as "big HUGE GIGANTIC MULTI gizulti-family garage sale" and have tables full of vases. like the really ugly free 80's vases.

your plant holders looks so cute! they look way better in red. i feel like we haven't been garage saling in a long time.. we need to go this saturday.. wait, what time is jon's game? they better not interfere with garage saling!

Leslie said...

Very cute stuff stace!! I'm very impressed. And by the way...if we throw tomatoes at the dud garage sales let's not take them from my bush cuz one house and they would be gone.

Kelly said...

You're doing the C-word!!! Very Crafty Stacey! I'm so impressed! I wish that I could go garage saling with you guys. That makes me sad when I call and you are all out together having fun. Maybe someday I'll go and I'll probably actually like it (i'm not a garage saling fan--yet!)Keep up the crafty projects!

And, btw, I agree that those garage sales are so dumb when they have barely nothing to sell. They should be fined for advertising "garage sale!"

Brooke said...

hahahah stacey you are such a funny aunt. thats okay, i have bad eyesight too. we can be bad eyesight buddies!!